About Me

My photo
I was raised in the lowlands of Siberia by a pack of mangy wolves and a reindeer with ingrown antlers. I often walked alone amongst the mosquitos and barrels of nuclear waste contemplating the finite nature of my rickets-prone, malnourished body. One fine summer day I emerged from my sleep-heap (made of permafrost, reindeer dung, and old Life magazines) and went looking for materials for a new loin cloth. I came across a deserted Cold-War era radio tower and found this Apple 2E computer, where I now blog so much that I fear I may go blind.

Monday, March 23, 2009

On The 12th Thing of NEFLIN, Dr Bloggles said...


I've got the wiki fever. I really liked the concept of being able to secretly edit someone else's work, in the manner of an online Peeping Bloggles. I wanted to practice my technique first, so I went to the Wiki Sandbox to begin. However I couldn't resist the chance to meddle, so I searched for "Russian" and I found a page where Wikimedia, the website itself, displays actual photos of its Russian business license. In the 2.0 spirit I tried to alter some of the documents, but you can imagine my surprise when the site warned me that my IP address would appear with every change. So I guess this isn't quite the Wild West atmosphere I was looking for. Here is a copy of one of the documents. I think the wiki concept can be good for research if it is used as a starting point, in order to get some basic context, terminology, or facts and then to know better where and how to look for authoritative information elsewhere. I can go to a wiki entry for antidepressant medications, for example, so that I know what medicines are normally given to people for those conditions so that I know what to put on the bottles of frozen dung pelletts that I prescribe to my patients. If I was depressed I would know to go to another, authoritative site or to ask a real doctor. The only information format I would ban would be 8-tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment