About Me

My photo
I was raised in the lowlands of Siberia by a pack of mangy wolves and a reindeer with ingrown antlers. I often walked alone amongst the mosquitos and barrels of nuclear waste contemplating the finite nature of my rickets-prone, malnourished body. One fine summer day I emerged from my sleep-heap (made of permafrost, reindeer dung, and old Life magazines) and went looking for materials for a new loin cloth. I came across a deserted Cold-War era radio tower and found this Apple 2E computer, where I now blog so much that I fear I may go blind.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hey Thing 19

Webjunction is much more than a place for spiders to hook-up. I find this to be a good networking site for the non-insects to find out about library technology, programs, and methods. There is some great information on, for example, computer classes for the public and how to obtain free lesson plans. This would have helped me out a lot when I tried to teach my own computer class. I had heard about "degradable music" so I showed the kids how to use a computer to flatten caribou dung patties into percussion instruments which would then degrade. It's a very green way to make music, though it's not always exactly green. Downloadable music? What if you want to hear the treble? Wagner triangle concerto? Anyway, the blog entries were appropriate, substantive, or at least very quick when conversational. And I thought it refreshing to see how the entries were all signed by people with their actual names, which in a social network helps a lot to maintain a civil atmosphere free from the penchant to insult and parody anonymously. I for one can't stand people who blog fictitiously under assumed identities and use that anonymity to clutter the web with arrogant fantasies. Now Dr. Bloggles will return to his Siberian sleep heap.

No comments:

Post a Comment